Pages

Thursday, January 22, 2015

Forget me not

One a month Angela over at soscrappy blog does a challenge where she throws out a color and you make a block or two or three with that color out of your scraps and at the end of the year end up with a rainbow quilt and an empty scap bin. It's very loose and fun by the looks and you can do as much or as little as you want. It's all about the sharing and doing. There is a link up every Saturday so you can see what others are doing.
Click on the button on the right side of my blog to check it out.
I thought I would do my favorite block each month which is the mariners compass. There are endless variations and for the first one I did the easiest. I like doing small art quilts so this finishes at 20” square.

I'm not that great at piecing as you can see my points aren't that great. (Notice the flower button strategically placed over where the points meet) lol! But perfect points are not the point here. (Pun intended)

I used the template method in this one from Judy Matheisons book that my mom gave to me back in 1987. I've kept it all these years because it not only taught me how to make my first compass. It is a great book even though it is now considered a “classic” - kind of like me ;-)

The forget me nots were added with inktense pencils. The blue matches the island batik scraps perfectly! I really like how the white on white quilting looks. I happened to be watching Leah Days sampler craftsy class while quilting this and she showed how to do echo paisley which worked great in these corners.

I need a name for this quilt though - any ideas?

 

16 comments:

  1. Oooh, such a beauty! One of my friend was doing this last year, she made huge rectangles made with 1 inch squares. Your compass is gorgeous, I love the little flowers and oh, the quilting! Drooling :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! that is incredibly beautiful! I, too, love Mariner's compasses. I even thought about them when I got into the rainbow challenge. But then I saw those fox faces..............LOL

    the only way I get "points" is to paperpiece. (or put on a bra)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm speechless here and that doesn't happen often. STUNNING!! And the quilting is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is beautiful! What wonderful work you do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful block. I like the idea of painting on the flowers with pencils and then quilting the contours.
    A name? "A course not to forget"? "Blue directions"? Sorry, I'm not getting any inspiration this afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous techniques for a stunning finish. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so pretty! I think you did a fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful!!! And ...quilted!! Wow! It is quite stunnng!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, those forget-me-nots remind me of spring. I've never heard of inktense pencils but if I had I can't draw anyway. I notice no problems! I'm beadazzled by blue.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How beautiful! Absolutely, drop-dead gorgeous. And you will put us all to shame, but what fun in the process!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow! I Love the Mariners compass but have yet to try one. I'll enjoy visiting each month to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job - love the blues you have chosen and already quilted!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful !! Why not call it Forget Me Not?

    ReplyDelete