Pages

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

pets on quilts

There is a blog party every August at lily pad quilting that has people show pictures of their quilts of pets and or pets on quilts. I'm not going to post my Abbey, Summer or Sophie on a quilt because they are of course cuter and more beautiful than any other pet out there and it just wouldn't be fair, so I am showing you

MAX

Max is not my dog but taken from a public domain pnoto that I found. For some reason I needed to make a dog with a ball in his mouth and Max seemed to be up for the challenge. 


He's done with the David Taylor method of turned under applique, blending colors using as many different fabrics as you can manage - a very time consuming but pleasurable task. I think I could have done better with the colors and blending but this method is not easy to do and I'm happy with it. I did learn from my mistakes on it so that's always a good thing and really the whole point in this journey .


He's quilted very heavily - another David Taylor - ish style. I like the hair, although in hindsight, a lab which is what I think Max is wouldn't have a "mane" like my collie but I'm going with - Max is a lab collie mix :-)

I've only made a couple of these David Taylor style quilts. They are not easy but give you spectacular results. I took a class with him and it was awesome, I learned so much but I think he is nuts :-)
go here to see David Taylors work if you are interested and if you ever get the chance to take a class and you are into pictorial quilts - DO IT!

Go to the blog party here to check out all the cuteness going on over there!


24 comments:

  1. Your Max quilt is just lovely! You are obviously very talented. I am enjoying visiting all the blogs and seeing all the pets and quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did an amazing job with that quilt! I started to make a pictorial quilt of my cat Puffo during an online class in february this year, but today I am still stuck with choosing fabrics. It is an incredible lot of work and your quilt really turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Max, the Lab Collie mix! LOL. Your work is really wonderful on his coat.

    glen: I like!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful quilt- have not heard of DAvid Taylor but will check him out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful art work! I love David Taylor's style. You are doing very well with the portrait. Definitely makes me want to know Max!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the quilt is great..my MIL had golden labs. Female had short hair and the male's hair was longer.. they were litter mates.. and her neighbor had a male from that litter and he had short hair..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quite an work of art! How interesting that you studied under David Taylor!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Max is amazing. I am always amazed when I see quilts like this, very talented as I know I could not do it. thanks for sharing. Susie x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely job with this one. I keep thinking about making a photo quilt. Then, I am intimidated by all the fabrics and the careful cutting and... well, I just get scared off. Thank you for the wonderful share!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Helloooo ~ Let me introduce myself, I am Sweet William The Scot, and I am taking the tour of the quilts. I am more of a dog blogger, but I have made three quilts in my lifetime. I have never seen this form of a quilt before. It is more like a painting, very lovely.
    Sweet William The Scot

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful quilt and one to treasure indeed!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is amazing and of course Max is a mix, he's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! Your quilt is beautiful and Max looks great with his ball! Our Nero may sleep tennis ball in his mouth. x Teje

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome quilt! Thanks for joining in our party!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is really gorgeous. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful job you did on this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful! I am not familiar with David Taylor, but your quilt reminds me of Sharon Malec's patterns which are fun to do as well. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete