Pages

Friday, August 3, 2018

Black bird singing in the dead of night


Finished! I love a good moon, don’t you?

Did you know that Paul McCartney wasn’t writing about a bird? Here is part of an interview with him about the song

'I had in mind a black woman, rather than a bird. Those were the days of the civil rights movement, which all of us cared passionately about, so this was really a song from me to a black woman, experiencing these problems in the States: “Let me encourage you to keep trying, to keep your faith; there is hope.”

As is often the case with my things, a veiling took place, so rather than saying, “Black woman living in Little Rock” and be very specific, she became a bird, became symbolic, so you could apply it to your particular problem.'  







5 comments:

  1. Another fabulous piece. I hadn't heard the background to "Black Bird". Now a song I've always loved, did see as a metaphor, has even more depth. Thank you for educating me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous, Carol! I've enjoyed watching this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew long ago the story behind the lyrics. I think it made me love the song even more. That bird sings to my liberal heart. I love your piece. I wish I could have made the pic of the back larger to read it.

    I see you made a comment so you would receive an email. Didn't the fix work for you?
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another fabulous quilt; you do birds so well. I've always liked that song and it was interesting to hear the truth story behind it. Now that song will be going thru my mind all day.
    PS I would have liked to see a closer view to see more detail.

    ReplyDelete