Pages

Friday, December 15, 2017

Fabric snack bags tutorial


Have you ever made your own snack bags? I know, I know you use a baggie but how cool would will you look when you whip out this fabric bag holding your snacks? In my case it’s going to be dog treats. They also are good to organize all the junk in your purse or in my case a big ol’ honkin’ tote bag filled with many of these little organizer pouches. Of course I forget what I put in them, but I digress.

Here’s how you make them.

First find a lining fabric. Remember if you use this for your snacks you will be putting food on it. A vinyl or that type of thing is best. Something less porous with a very tight weave. You want something washable because you will throw these right in the laundry to clean. For the outside use some of that stash of quilting fabric that I know you have.

All you need for this project is the lining fabric, an outside fabric and a package of the sew on hook and loop tape (Velcro) that is as close as possible to your lining. Use thread that matches your lining fabric as well.










Cut 2 each of the lining and the outside fabrics. You can do rectangle or square any size you want. In this case they are 8”x7”.
 















Sew the Velcro 3/4” from the top of the 2 lining pieces. 



















With right sides together matching a lining with an outside fabric, sew a 3/4” seam along the top. (The Velcro side of lining)















Open and finger press the seam open.


































  





With right sides together sew all the way around leaving a 2” opening at the bottom of the lining edge.















































See the opening at the bottom? Turn inside out thru this opening. Push out the corners.





































After turning, sew the opening shut. You could slip stitch this part by hand but nobody will notice inside the bottom of the bag if it’s not perfect.


















How did I get all those scratches on my sewing machine? I don’t even notice them but in this photo - wow! 👀













Push the lining inside and make it nice and neat. You might need to iron it some but be very careful if you are using vinyl or anything that will melt.














One final note. If you make a bunch of these at the same time don’t do like I did and sew the loop side of the Velcro to both sides of the lining one one bag.

Did I rip this all out? Hell no! I cut it down smaller and just made a smaller bag 🤗

I hope I was clear on these directions but please feel free to contact me with any questions.


      Enjoy!





1 comment:

  1. Chuckle, chuckle, chuckle......been there and done that, my friend!

    When I was doing the dog training, i would use a similar bag for my treats. On the back it had a clip to hang on a belt loop. I would walk around all day with these treat bags hanging from my waist. in those days, I would not buy anything that did not have either a belt loop or a suitable pocket in which to put treats. The pocket had to be easy access to those treats! And yes, I washed dog treats many a time!

    ReplyDelete